Thursday, November 27, 2014

Blog hop

I was asked by the lovely Alison Sye to be a part in a blog hop which links artists and makers from around the world. I was introduced (virtually) to Alison by Tina and from then I have been an avid follower of her beautiful work. These are the times I love the virtual world best!

The hop consists of answering 4 questions, and then linking to new artists/makers to continue with the flow of the hop.

words from a dream I had
How does my process work?
As a beginner embroiderer I must say my process is all about learning and practice. I'm interested not only in words and how they look, but also how the fabric and thread affects them. Another important aspect for me is how my mood alters my writing, and consequently the strength or lack of it that I put on each stitch. The hardest part for me is finding a text that resonates with me. As soon as I find it I look in my stash for a handkerchief that best fits the text, then I choose the type of letter and finally the thread's color and thickness.

I carry your heart by E.E. Cummings
How does my work differ from others of its genre?
As Alison said in her post, "nothing in this world is new." I believe this completely. We are all just recycling ideas, and trying our best to make them our own. We experiment, we try here and there with what works best for us and then we either keep at it, or move on. I don't like perfect or generic letters, and try my best to explore with different ways of writing and how a particular way of writing affects the poem or paragraph I've chosen. Each time I start a new handkerchief I consciously choose how the letters will look so that in a very minimal way it will alter the impact of the writing. That said, I really have no idea how my work differs from others of its genre.

Cloths of Heaven by W.B. Yeats
Why do I do what I do?
Apart from loving it with a passion?  I've been very creative throughout my life, and explored many arts and crafts, but it was only until  a few years ago when I started to embroider words that I felt a kind of bliss and sense of purpose, a feeling of "I have arrived," and knew at that instant that I had found something that I could do for the rest of my life.

Prayer by Hugo Williams
What am I working on?
Thankfully there is always something that needs to come out of my head, whether it is a diy craft for the blog or coming up with different things for my Etsy shop or new words that I feel compelled to embroider. There is always something!

Next week the artists I've chosen will answer the same questions, and I'm looking forward to reading their answers. They are:
Mirta from Miplusedesign who is an illustrator and print maker. Her work is a constant source of inspiration for me, with her nature inspired minimalistic drawings and transferring them to beautiful scarves and notebooks.


And Juliane from Fröken Skicklig who is a professional doll maker, and makes in my opinion the most idyllic settings for the dolls, and the most beautiful clothes for them ( I always wish I could dress like them).


You really should also check both of their Instagrams as the word beautiful falls short in both cases.

I wish you a lovely Thanksgiving day, filled with yummy food and surrounded by family and friends,
all the best,
Giova

14 comments:

  1. thank you for nominating me Giova! Wishing you a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Looking forward to your post.

      Delete
  2. Reconocer el arte. La inspiracion. Los suenos... Gracias!!!! por compartir tanto. Tanta belleza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Te imaginas donde no? Ya nos habiamos explotado con tanta idea sin madurar, jaja!!

      Delete
  3. I love that we get to see the different works you've done, it is quite interesting how the type changes accordingly and adds a beautiful touch to the sentiment each quote or poem provides...your answers really opened a door for us into how your wonderful ideas come to life! Thank you for this beautifully curated show of your pieces❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually felt a bit weird having to answer this type of questions, but I guess it was a good exercise, and I also came to realize a few things I had not given too much thought to, anyway… I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Giova, it is always a pleasure visiting your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work with us and for giving us insight into your creative process. Have a cozy and crafty weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Juliane, I think I blushed :) You are too kind with your words. I'm looking forward to getting an insight into your beautiful world!

      Delete
  5. It is just amazing to me that you can actually embroider calligraphy! Just totally amazing. You are just awesome, G! Big hugs from Zurich <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elisa!! I'm so happy you liked it! Big hugs from Amsterdam;)

      Delete
  6. Hello Giova,
    Thanks for continuing the blog hop.
    It's so lovely to have an insight into your work, we have a lot in common.
    I don't think you are a beginner embroiderer at all!
    Thank you for introducing me to Juliane and Mirta, I am looking forward to their posts.
    Wishing you a great week
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same when I read about your work.
      I'm a big admirer/fan of your stitches!
      Thank you again for giving me this opportunity!

      Delete
  7. Ladies. I'm obviously living on the moon. Blog hop??
    What a lovely post. It's nice to find out a bit more about your work Giova and the passion you clearly have for it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I didn't know about it either, but found about it through Alison, and then went to read some very nice posts. It is so nice to read about how passionate people are about their craft!
      Thank you so much!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...