Monday, February 9, 2015

Going Nowhere

As someone who is constantly writing lists of all the places I need to visit someday and constantly day dreaming about these 'future" trips, the concept of "going nowhere" is not one that sits well with me.

In 2008 I read an article by Pico Iyer for Yoga Plus magazine. I remember many things about the article, but especially the fact that he took a week off once a year to stay at a monastery in California. It sounded like a dream to be able to do that.

"The art of stillness," is finally in my hands. It has been read, more like devoured, and I think this book was born out of that article that I read before, only now more in-depth. As always with books, it was just what I was hoping to read. There is a Ted talk that accompanies the book, you can listen to it here.

I Went looking for some information on the article mentioned above and somehow wound up reading about this workshop that I wish I could take. (My brain works in mysterious ways). I told you thinking about my next trip is a constant hobby of mine.

Any way, back to the book: I really hope you get a chance to read it. I loved it and I'm glad I could revisit that never forgotten article again.

I don't think I will ever stop dreaming of new places. It is in my nature, in my DNA. My father is the same way, and he is also the reason why I've been lucky enough to see a lot of this world. Then again...

I like this idea of going nowhere, of being still and embracing that stillness. I crave it. Silence, a quiet mind, a peaceful heart. Can't I have both? The going nowhere and going to all places. There must be a place in the middle, a balance to all of it, no? Oh, the search! It continues.

I hope you have a very beautiful week,
Giova

5 comments:

  1. Yes Giova, it is called reading a book. You can go anyplace you wish and be still at the same time. I have been doing this for years and it is as close to Heaven one can get on this old earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that reading is bliss, but what he is talking about is actually taking the time to do nothing. Not adding more info to our already very busy brains. So reading is actually an activity (one that I love very much btw). The whole idea is to simply sit still ;)

      Delete
  2. Ha, Your mind does work in mysterious ways....:-)

    Love the book and will definitely listen to the TED talk...
    The workshop sounds heavenly.
    Now get back to real life:-))



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, it does.
      The workshop right? But you are right, back to earth :)

      Delete
  3. Me quedo corta de palabras.............

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...